The Australian Council of Agricultural Journalists is the national umbrella organisation for a network of six state-based press clubs focusing on rural and regional Australia.
The ACAJ plays a valuable role at both a national and international level in linking people and organisations with a focus on agriculture and rural affairs.
Its key activities include:
- Coordinating a national young rural leader’s award, for young journalists showing professional and leadership potential. Each year, the award sends a national winner to the annual International Federation of Agricultural Journalism (IFAJ) congress which draws together leading rural journalists, photographers and communicators from around the world.
- Coordinating the Australian Star Prizes for Rural Writing, Rural Broadcasting and Rural Photography.
- Representing Australian rural journalists, photographers and communicators at the International Federation of Agricultural Journalists, the peak professional global organisation for people involved in reporting and communicating paddock-to- plate issues in more than 30 countries.
- Providing networking opportunities with leading government and industry representatives, communication specialists and media at State, national and international levels;
- Connecting international media with Australian expertise on issues effecting Australian farmers, industries and rural communities. This includes managing a freelance register.